Gymnastics Victoria Privacy Statement
Gymnastics Victoria (GV) is committed to providing its members and participants with the highest levels of service. This includes protecting members’ privacy.
GV is bound by the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, which sets out a number of principles concerning the protection of an individual’s personal information.
The aim of these laws is to ensure that organisations handle personal information responsibly and provide a consistent approach to its collection, use and disclosure.
These laws also give the individual rights such as access to their personal information and the ability to correct it, if needed. This document sets out how GV may collect, hold and use personal information.
Other related documents
- Gymnastics Victoria Constitution
- Codes of Behaviour
- Member Protection Policy
- Authorised Photographers Agreement
- Photographic Policy
- Child Protection Policies and Codes of Conduct
- Social Media Policy
- Events Handbook
- State Team Handbook
- Committees Charter
- Human Resource Manual
- Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
- Health Records Act 2001 (Vic)
1. WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
"Personal information" is information or an opinion (including information forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in material form or not, about an individual whose identity is reasonably apparent, or can be reasonably ascertained, from the information or opinion.
GV collects personal information in order to properly and efficiently carry out its functions, including to provide you requested products and services, and to facilitate the provision of marketing and promotion services that may be of interest to you.
GV uses personal information only for the purposes for which it was provided and for directly related purposes (unless otherwise required by or authorised under law). We may state a more specific purpose at the point we collect your information.
If you do not provide us with the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services.
2. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES GV COLLECT?
The information collected by GV about a particular person will vary depending on the circumstances of collection. It may include, but is not limited to, a person's contact details (name, email and/or postal address, phone number)
, date of birth, gender, credit card details, driver's licence number, passport number, insurance details, employment history, working with children checks, police checks, qualifications, and digital images of people or
communication history with GV.
2.1 Sensitive Information
If it is reasonably necessary in the circumstances, GV may also collect sensitive information (which is a type of personal information) such as your medical history, nationality or disability backgrounds.
3. HOW GV COLLECTS PERSONAL INFORMATION
To deliver and enhance the services offered by Gymnastics Victoria, certain personal information is collected. GV collects personal information from individuals when an individual:
• registers an affiliated club;
• registers to become an affiliated athlete or an affiliated technical member;
• joins a club and their details are entered into the national database by the club;
• participates in any program, activity, education course, competition or event run by GV or a GV affiliate;
• purchases merchandise, event tickets, products or services from GV or a GV affiliate;
• requests information from GV, or contacts GV via email, telephone or mail or engages with GV via social media;
• participates in a GV survey;
• accesses the GV website;
• participates in GV activities;
• is elected or appointed to the Board or a committee of GV; or
• applies for employment or a committee or volunteer position with GV or a GV Affiliate.
Personal information may also be collected where GV is required to do so by law (for education, child protection, work health and safety laws, charitable collections, medical treatment or other legislation in Victoria or Australia).
3.1 Providing information
If you do not provide some or all of the information that we request from you, this may affect GV's ability to communicate with you or provide the requested products or services.
By not providing requested information, you may jeopardise your ability to participate in programs or competitions or apply for employment or volunteer positions with GV or a GV Affiliate. If it is impracticable for GV to deal with you as a result of you not providing the requested information or consent, GV may refuse to do so.
3.2 Collection from third parties
GV or a GV Affiliate may collect personal information regarding a child from the parent or other responsible person associated with that child.
In some circumstances, GV collects information from GV Affiliates or other third parties.
Examples of such third parties could include, without limitation, the Australian Sports Commission, the Victorian Institute of Sport, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency, affiliated clubs, non- affiliated gymnastics organisations or government and law enforcement bodies as required by law.
3.3 Information storage and protection
Gymnastics Victoria stores personal information in the forms of both paper files and computer files. GV has implemented measures of a reasonable nature to ensure that all personal information is securely stored from misuse, loss and unauthorised handling.
Much of the information we collect from and about our members is added to the national membership database. When your information is entered into GV's membership database, the information may be combined or linked with other information held about you.
Security of personal information is important to GV. GV and Gymnastics Australia have taken steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Some of the security measures GV uses include strict confidentiality requirements of our employees, volunteers, GV Affiliates and service providers, security measures for system access and security measures for our website.
Should GV become aware of a breach of these security measures then GV shall act to rectify the cause of the breach forthwith and shall notify affected individuals in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988.
3.4 Health Records Act 2001 (Vic)
Gymnastics Victoria shall at all times comply with its obligations under the Heath Records Act 2001 (Vic)
3.5 Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
Gymnastics Victoria shall at all times comply with any applicable obligations under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
of which this policy forms part of GV’s obligations under the Act.
4. HOW GV USES PERSONAL INFORMATION
• verify your identity;
• complete background checks;
• research, develop, run, administer and market competitions, education courses, programs, activities and other events relating to gymnastics;
• research, develop and market products, services, merchandise and special offers made available by us and third parties;
• respond to emergency situations involving or requiring medical treatment;
• administer, manage and provide you with registration and access to GV's website;
• keep you informed of news and information relating to various gymnastics events, activities and opportunities via various mediums;
• used in digital marketing to promote gymnastics (i.e. social media);
• Internal accounting and administration; and
• Regulatory reporting and compliance.
GV may use health information to ensure that programs or tours we operate are run safely and in accordance with any special health needs participants may require. Health information may also be kept for insurance purposes. In addition, we may use de-identified health information and other sensitive information to carry out research, to prepare submissions to government, or to plan events and activities.
If GV sends any information about services or products that is not required, or that you do not want disclosed to any other organisation
(including related organisations), you can advise GV accordingly by writing to the GV CEO.
5. WHEN WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
GV may disclose your personal information to a range of organisations which include, but are not limited to:
• GV Affiliates and other organisations involved in gymnastics programs in Australia;
• companies we engage to carry out functions and activities on GV's behalf, including direct marketing;
• our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
• our insurers;
• relevant sporting bodies such as Gymnastics Australia, Federation Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG), Australian Sports Commission, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, Australian Institute of Sport, Victorian Institute of Sport, competition/event management companies, Federal and State Departments of Sport amongst others; and
• in other circumstances permitted by law.
In some circumstances personal information may also be disclosed outside of Australia, for example, information disclosed to the FIG. In such circumstances, GV will use our best endeavours to ensure such parties are subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that are suitably similar to the Australian Privacy Principles.
When you provide GV with personal information about other individuals, GV relies on you to make the individual aware that the information has been provided to GV and for what purpose and to whom it may be disclosed and also how they can access their information. This is extremely important for Club owners providing the personal information of their members in GV’s national database.
5.1 Direct marketing
We will use non-sensitive personal information to provide better services and for marketing purposes (including disclosure of such information to service providers).
We may also use digital images in direct marketing including in social media.
If you do not wish to receive e-mail, SMS or posted offers from GV, you may opt-out by using the link provided. Alternatively, you may advise us at any time by contacting the GV CEO via the contact details set out in this policy.
5.2 Other disclosures
Additionally, GV may also disclose personal information:
• with your express or implied consent;
• when required or authorised by law;
• to an enforcement body when reasonably necessary; or
• to lessen or prevent a threat to an individual or public health or safety.
5.3 GV's website
When you visit the GV website, our systems may record certain information about your use of the site, including the web pages visited and the time and date of visit. GV uses this information to help analyse and improve the performance of our website.
Websites linked to the GV website are not subject to GV's privacy standards, policies or procedures. GV cannot take any responsibility for the collection, use, disclosure or security of any personal information that you provide to a third party website.
6. ACCURACY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
GV takes reasonable steps to ensure that whenever personal information is collected or disclosed, it is accurate, complete and up to date.
7. ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. You can gain access to your personal information by contacting Gymnastics Australia as set out below. You may also advise GV at any time about possible breaches of privacy, or inaccurate, incomplete personal information that may have changed.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we rely on the accuracy of personal information as provided to us both directly and indirectly.
We encourage you to regularly review and update your personal information. We will respond to your request for access within a reasonable period. If you find that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us immediately and we will correct it.
8. RESOLVING PRIVACY ISSUES AND COMPLAINTS
Any issues or complaints in relation to the collection, use, disclosure, quality, security of and access to your personal information may be made to the GV CEO as follows:
Phone: (03) 9005 4700
We will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period, and try to resolve your complaint for you. If we are unable to resolve your complaint or you are unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner via its enquiries line 1300 363 992 or website http://www.oaic.gov.au/
to lodge a complaint.