Gymnastics Victoria is committed to promoting and protecting the interests and safety of all children and young people and has zero tolerance for child abuse and anything that compromises the health and well being of children. Everyone involved with Gymnastics Victoria, its affiliated clubs, committees and activities are responsible for the care and protection of children under 18 and for reporting information about child abuse.
We understand that Child Protection can be a sensitive issue to talk about for some people. We believe one of the important ways to protect children from abuse is to provide opportunities for children, young people and adults to discuss and talk openly about the items related to child abuse.
If you would like to report a child protection matter related to gymnastics, or discuss how you can promote child protection please contact the Gymnastics Victoria office and ask to speak with one of our Senior Managers.
Gymnastics Victoria has now finalised its new Child Safety Framework. Updates will be available here as the initiatives outlined below included in the Framework are made available.
We value the gymnastics community’s feedback on the Gymnastics Victoria Child Protection Framework. Feedback can be made by clicking here or contacting the GV office on (03) 9005 4700.
Click here for the Child Safety Framework.
Click here for our 'What is Child Abuse' document.
Gymnastics Victoria and its affiliated clubs are collectively a Child Friendly sport and organisation with a number of important polices that are implemented throughout our sport as part of our commitment to promoting and protecting children.
The Victorian Government has introduced compulsory minimum standards that apply to all organisations that provide services for children. These standards help to protect children from all forms of abuse. The child safe standards form part of the Victorian Government’s response to the Betrayal of Trust Inquiry.
These Standards apply to sporting organisations from 1 January 2017.
Implementation of Standards
Gymnastics Victoria has conducted a review of our sport's approach to the new State Government's standards and is introducing the following iniatives for our sport that will be introduced in three phases:
Phase 1 (completed)
- Gymnastics Club Self Audit tool available (click here for a word version or click here for a pdf version) - completing this tool and developing an action plan will assist each affiliated club to comply with the Victorian Government’s child safety standards.
- Review and update of GV Child Protection policies including:
- Establishment of the GV Child Protection Working Group - The GV Child Protection Working Group meets on a regular basis and includes the GV CEO and other senior GV Staff. The working group reports to the GV Board Governance Committee
- Ongoing communication to Gymnastics Victoria Clubs and community regarding the new standards and the GV Framework
Phase 2 – From December 2016
- Finalisation of the GV Child Protection Framework document that incorporates the initiatives on this page
- Club/Judge/Coach/Committee Child Protection Action List document released
- Letter sent to all Coaches and Judges regarding the new standards
- Club Resource BlueQ released – BlueQ allows for clubs to auto confirm, on an ongoing basis, the status of a person's Working With Children Check Card – cost $5 per person per annum in 2017
- Partnership with ‘Positive Sports Coaching’ established – Resources available for clubs at www.positivesportscoaching.com.au that focuses coaching techniques on the positive health and well being outcomes of children
Phase 3 – from February 2017
- Gymnastics Child Protection Online Course released for Club Owners, Club Committees, Club Staff and Volunteers, Coaches, Judges, and GV Staff, Committees and partners (free to complete)
- GV Member Welcome booklet distributed to all members (2017 edition includes ‘Child Helpline promotion’ that supports clubs to meet the standards)
- Best practice gymnastics employee screening checklist released
- Other resources and support as developed
- Child Protection Officer (part time) Appointed
- GV Online Reporting Tool finalised
- Each Club to have a nominated Member Protection Information Officer (in line with the club affiliation standards)
For Clubs - What you need to do from here
- Complete the Gymnastics Club Self Audit tool and develop a Child Protection action plan for your club - click here for a word version or click here for a pdf version
- Ensure you read and distribute the GV Child Protection policies to all involved at your club
- Ensure your club distributes the 2017 Member Booklet that contains information for Children regarding Kids Helpline
- Subscribe to Club Torque to keep up to date with the latest information regarding Gymnastics Child Protection
Further information and initiatives will be released on this page and GV's e-newsletters. For any assistance at all please do not hesitate to contact the GV Office on (03) 9005 4700